About Katten Muchin Rosenman LLP
Katten is a firm of first choice for clients seeking sophisticated, high-value legal services in the United States and abroad. Our nationally recognized practices include corporate, financial services, litigation, real estate, environmental, commercial finance, insolvency and restructuring, intellectual property, and trusts and estates. Our more than 650 attorneys serve public and private companies, including a third of the Fortune 100, as well as a number of government and nonprofit organizations and individuals. We provide full-service legal advice from locations across the United States and in London and Shanghai.
Summary for the Director of Attorney Recruiting
The Director of Attorney Recruiting leads and oversees the Firm’s non-partner legal recruiting department, determining the strategic direction and objectives of the department, and supporting the Firm’s growth while maintaining and improving its cultural, diversity and quality standards. The Director of Attorney Recruiting leads the development and implementation of talent acquisition strategies and evaluation of the entire recruiting function for associates, counsel and staff attorneys to find opportunities for improvement that capitalizes on the Firm’s strengths. Exercises discretion and independent judgment while working under the general direction of the Chief Talent Officer, the National Hiring Partner and according to established Firm policies and procedures. Maintains professionalism and strict confidentiality in all client and Firm matters.
Essential Job Duties
• Lead the development and execution of comprehensive recruiting strategies that will guarantee the Firm attracts and hires top legal talent, utilizing traditional and modern/innovative sources, to create a pipeline of qualified candidates.
• Create and maintain an environment of equal employment opportunity, diversity, and competitive advantage in support of the Firm's diversity and inclusion strategic plan.
• Participate in organizational strategic planning and provide leadership with regard to consistent recruiting policy and procedure across all offices in alignment with the Firm's strategic plan and talent functional strategy.
• Lead, develop, and manage an ambitious, high performing legal recruiting team that drives the full-cycle recruiting process for all non-partner attorneys in all offices at the Firm. Provide leadership in the establishment of the employment brand and recruitment strategies that ensure the delivery of the Firm's operational standards in recruitment activities.
• Collaborate with the Director of Diversity & Inclusion to implement strategies that attract and retain diverse legal talent for the Firm’s strategic needs, including the Firm’s active participation in the Mansfield Rule 2.0.
• Drive a culture of mentoring, coaching, and constant improvement, identifying and implementing projects in order to increase firm-wide recruiting effectiveness and efficiency.
• Develop effective relationships within the Firm, target law schools and the legal recruitment community to have positive influence and impact on the Firm's recruiting program.
• Collaborate with Firm management and establish relationships with department heads and practice group leaders within the Firm to understand current and future talent requirements and needs specific to each department. Follow up to ensure proper matching has occurred throughout and after the onboarding process.
• Leverage key tracking analytics and impact metrics in order to grow data driven and technically skilled recruiting team, using this data to introduce alternative recruiting strategies when applicable.
• Create and maintain standardized reporting system that evaluates the success of current recruitment strategies and leads the identification for solutions in the interest of constant improvement for the department and the quality of talent brought into the Firm.
• Provide Chief Talent Officer, National Hiring Partner and key stakeholders with insights for further decision-making and strategy formulation.
• Examine hiring trends to anticipate the Firm's response to law school admission and labor market changes.
• Design an interview program focused on hiring and retaining the best people. Consider utilizing behavioral or other interviewing techniques.
• Manage Firm-wide recruiting budget.
Directly supervises and manages the firm-wide Attorney Recruiting staff and is responsible for their overall direction, coordination, and evaluation. Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the Firm’s policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include interviewing and training; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems; making recommendations for hiring, promotion, compensation, and termination.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
• Bachelor’s degree and five or more years of progressively responsible experience in the areas of associate hiring, law school recruiting, preferably in a large law firm environment are required; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
• Outstanding organizational skills including record keeping, data collection, and system information. Ability to compile and analyze data and furnish concise, detailed information in report format, written correspondence, e mail, or verbally.
• Analytical skills requiring an aptitude for detail, precision, and logic with knowledge of all aspects of the attorney recruiting process in order to analyze attorney recruiting and recruiting materials, guidelines, presentations, and budget.
• Excellent interpersonal, verbal, and written communication skills. Ability to communicate with courtesy and diplomacy, efficiently follow written and verbal instructions, provide information, and maintain effective relationships with a diverse group of attorneys, clients, staff, and outside contacts.
• Proactive with demonstrated troubleshooting, problem resolution, and follow-through skills in order to manage multiple projects simultaneously in a fast-paced, detail-oriented work environment.
• Exhibit high degree of initiative, critical-thinking skills, and the ability to exercise independent judgment and make decisions in order to assure the professional integrity of the attorney recruiting programs.
• Ability to understand and support Firm goals, services, culture, and strategy in order to represent the Firm in a positive, professional manner.
• Ability to occasionally retrieve and distribute files, written documentation, or office supplies weighing up to 10 pounds.
• Ability and availability to travel to other Firm locations when required.
We offer an outstanding benefit package which includes: medical/dental/vision, 401k with employer contribution; transportation fringe benefit program; back-up care option; generous paid time off policy; and long-term and short-term disability policies.
Katten Muchin Rosenman LLP is an Equal Opportunity Employer/AA-M/F/SO/Disability/Veteran.