Neal, Gerber & Eisenberg LLP is a midsize Chicago Loop law firm seeking a Professional Development & Pro Bono Manager. This person will manage all aspects of attorney training and development, MCLE tracking, and the firm’s pro bono involvement, and support additional Firm initiatives. This individual reports directly to the Director of Talent & Diversity.
• Manage the administration of attorney training programs. Specifically - Oversee Minimum Continuing Legal Education (MCLE), including:
o Seeking and obtaining accreditation for the firm’s CLE programs in Illinois
o Supervising data entry, administration and reporting for CE Manager (CLE tracking software)
o Creating attorney credit reports and communicating any deficiencies to attorneys
o Ensuring the firm’s adherence to all necessary provisions set by the state bar to maintain good standing of MCLE provider status
o Maintaining MCLE resource library
o Overseeing record keeping for accredited programs, including attendance tracking, attendance certificate generation and record maintenance for all in-house and external seminars
• Develop and deliver practice area-specific training curriculum on an on-going basis, including:
o Assessing training needs
o Defining learning objectives
o Identifying potential instructors both within and outside the Firm
o Administering the delivery of the program
o Managing the evaluation process of each program
• Develop and deliver firm-wide training programs to cover ethics, professionalism, practice management and “soft skills” such as time management, supervision and leadership, writing and editing, business development and marketing
• Develop and implement orientation programs for new attorneys, including Basic Skills training
• Implement and coordinate mentoring programs for new attorneys, new partners and affinity networks
• Manage the administration of the firm’s pro bono activities, including:
o Collaborate with the Pro Bono Committee to promote achievement of the firm’s pro bono goals
o Foster and maintain the firm’s relationships with legal aid service providers and not-for-profit organizations in need of pro bono legal assistance
o Serve as the pro bono face of the firm in external organizations
o Assess training needs to effectively deliver pro bono services and implement training programs
o Coordinate staffing of firm-sponsored pro bono activities, such as helplines and legal clinics
o Assist attorneys in all aspects of pro bono service, including intake, client relations, and obtaining technical assistance
o Coordinate quarterly firm pro bono newsletter
o Draft and publish annual pro bono report
• Collaborate with Women’s Network leadership team committee members to provide leadership with respect to women’s network initiatives. Support the women’s mentoring teams and the firm’s new mom’s group. Support the firm’s involvement in external organizations.
• Collaborate with Diversity & Inclusion Committee members to provide leadership with respect to diversity initiatives. Support internal affinity groups.
• Coordinate client CLE programs with the marketing department
• Assist in developing the annual budget for professional development
• Manage the intranet page on training and pro bono opportunities
• Other tasks related to professional development as they arise
• Juris Doctor
• Minimum 2-3 years related experience in a professional services firm
• Knowledge of Illinois MCLE rules a plus
• Strong verbal and written communication skills
• Ability to work independently with a high degree of professionalism
• Proficiency in prioritizing and multi-tasking
• Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail
• Results oriented
• Ability to work collaboratively in a fast paced entrepreneurial environment
The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• Ability to sit for long periods of time
• Ability to stand for a length of time at a photocopier
• Ability to bend, reach, twist and push while sitting or standing
The statements contained in this position description are not all-inclusive. Additional duties may be assigned and requirements may vary from time to time.
* Not accepting resumes from Search Firms at this time.