Neal, Gerber & Eisenberg LLP is a midsize Chicago Loop law firm seeking an Intellectual Property Operations Manager. In coordination with the Practice Group Chairs, the Intellectual Property Operations Manager will oversee management of the day to day operations of the Intellectual Property Practice Group.
• Identify opportunities to promote efficiency and implement improved practices.
• Develop and maintain best practice procedures for the IP Practice Group by improving existing IP administrative processes and reviewing and enhancing key administrative functions; including file intake, foreign counsel docketing, electronic and paper correspondence workflow, and docket interfaces with the firm’s records management, litigation docket, accounting and IT departments.
• Oversee the management of projects within the IP Practice Group such as transfers into and out of the firm and electronic file conversions.
• Develop and maintain consistent IP docket procedures, including overseeing software enhancements, upgrades and improved report functionality.
• Supervise responsibilities of the IP Docket Supervisor, including training on updated firm established and approved IP docket procedures.
• Oversee integration of staff into the IP Practice Group, including attorneys, paralegals, secretaries, and docket staff.
• Analyze and maintain adverse party and subject matter conflict check procedures.
• Coordinate marketing materials for the IP group with the marketing department, including Chambers and similar submissions, RFP responses, press releases and client alerts.
• Maintain the IP group calendar with information detailing internal firm meetings and events.
• Responsible for the agenda and materials for regular departmental meetings, including partner, associate and paralegal meetings.
• Facilitate follow-up discussions after department meetings as necessary to ensure action items are imposed.
• Assist with provider “charge-throughs” to clients with regard to PTO fees and deposit accounts, search reports and local counsel fees.
• Provide support and guidance to the accounting department with maintenance of the deposit accounts in the U.S. Patent, Copyright and Trademark Offices.
• Develop and maintain summary of Foreign Counsel filing fees and costs.
• Maintain attorney lists of involvement, including attorney committee service, attorney mentor lists and attorney organization involvement (trade association; legal organization; community involvement).
• Draft quarterly practice group reports and other ad hoc reports and presentations for firm management.
• Support client relationships and initiatives as need arises.
• Bachelor’s Degree required, with preference to a Business Administration major.
• Minimum of five years’ experience working in a supervisory/managerial role in a law firm required.
• Must have strong problem solving and project management skills.
• Must have strong organizational skills with proven success in process improvement.
• Strong verbal and written communication skills, proven ability to communicate effectively with all levels of management and staff.
• Knowledge of procedures and practices of the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office and international patent and trademark offices a plus.
• Proficient in computer applications, specifically Microsoft Office Suite and familiarity with Practice Group specific technology.
The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• Ability to sit for long periods of time
• Ability to bend, reach, twist and push while sitting or standing
The statements contained in this position description are not all-inclusive. Additional duties may be assigned and requirements may vary from time to time.